Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Brownie Cookies



I'll be the first to admit that I'm not a typical girl, and mainly for this one reason.... I don't really like chocolate.

YES, I know, I'm gonna get voted off the island...but it's not really my thing. Give me salt, cheese, meat! MEAT! I can never pass up a cheeseburger but chocolate, I can usually walk past. But sometimes, like after a cruddy bad paying night behind the bar, even I need chocolate. Then comes the eternal debate, chocolate chip cookies or brownies? Or you could go completely nutty and make brownie cookies
The addition of the baking powder makes the cookies puffed and much more cakey then typical roll out cookies which
are usually snappy and a little sandy.
 
3 cups flour
1/2 teas. salt
1/2 teas. baking powder
2 sticks butter
1 1/2 cups sugar
2 large eggs
1 teas. vanilla extract
2/3 cup cocoa powder

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. 
whisk flour, salt, baking powder and cocoa in a bowl and set aside.


I love the color of cocoa, ever notice how when ever clothes or paint is called chocolate brown its never this warm and luscious ?

Beat butter and sugar in mixer until ingredients are creamed and lightened in color. 

isn't that pretty? and tempting?! I could eat creamed butter and sugar as is.
Add Vanilla extract and eggs one at a time until completely incorporated.

 Gradually add dry ingredients and mix until smooth.

 Wrap dough in plastic and chill for at least one hour.

Roll out cookie dough on floured counter to about 1/4 inch thickness and cut into desired shapes(I used a small glass as my cookie cutter, why? cause i don't own real cookie cutters yet. santa? keep that in mind).

Anytime i'm rolling out something chocolate flavored I usually mix the flour for dusting the counter with a little cocoa powder, I just don't like the floury-ness thats left on the cookies when using plain flour. 

These cookies don't spread, at all, so don't worry about loading up the baking trays before baking 8-10 minutes until edges are firm and centers are set but still soft.  

Transfer to a wire rack to cool.


You might want to make a bunch of these... those poor unsuspecting cookies in that picture, Didn't see it coming. Don't tell my gym, but they didn't last three seconds after I took the picture. They're currently making friends with my ever expanding hiney.

1 comment: